Water Heater Inspections
When was the last time your Water Heater was inspected?
- The Department of Energy reports the average water heater fails at 10.7 years, some tankless water heaters average a bit longer.
- Average cost of a sudden water heater burst is $4,400 plus insurance deductibles (usually 1.5% of the insured home value)
- If your Water Heater(s) are in the Attic; the damage caused by broken water heater can be significantly higher (water damage to walls, carpet, ceilings, art, collectibles, etc.)
Symptoms of a Water Heater that Needs Attention:
- Lack of hot water
- Not hot enough water
- Off-color water
- Bad odors
- Noises emanating from the tank
- Leaking water
Note: Some of these problems may be occurring because of the contaminants in the water. That can be resolved by installing an in-line water filtration system. Berkeys Air Conditioning & Plumbing has a wide range of water filtration options for any home.
There are several items on your water heaters that should be checked regularly!
- Visually inspect the water heater for leaks, rust or other problems
- Temperature and pressure relief line – most important safety measure!
- Should be tested annually and REPLACED every 3 years
- Check water emergency shut-off valve for safe operation
- Anode rod – if checked regularly, can extend the life of the water heater
- Water temperature – proper heating of water (too hot can be dangerous!)
- Burner, venting and air flow – must be cleaned periodically for good combustion
- Pan and pan drain – if the heater does leak, it is critical that this drain runs freely
Of All the Dallas area plumbing repair calls, a large number of them could have been prevented with some routine maintenance and inspections.