Southlake, TX – Dec. 28, 2010 – The Southlake Carroll Dragons are recognized nationwide as a perennial football powerhouse, but here the Carroll Independent School District has an even bigger reputation for academic excellence, gaining more recognition with the Berkeys Student Salute.
Southlake-based Berkeys Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning has sponsored Southlake Carroll Dragons football radio broadcasts since they began in 2003. This year the company used paid commercial time during each broadcast to recognize Carroll ISD students for great successes in and out of the classroom.
Berkeys president Bill Stevens said sponsoring football broadcasts led to an anchor sponsorship of the video replay Dragon Stadium scoreboard this year. The multi-year financial commitment to the community prompted his thinking about presenting a “big picture” of Carroll students.
“We are extremely proud of the Southlake Carroll football program, but Carroll ISD is one of the top-ranked academic districts in Texas every year, and we want people to know about that, too. The Berkeys Student Salute is a step in that direction, and we will continue it in 2011.”
2010 Berkeys Student Salutes Honorees – Selected by Carroll ISD Faculty and Staff
Carroll ISD faculty and staff nominated high-achieving students for recognition each week of the 2010 Southlake Carroll football season – extended to 14 games this year by a deep playoff run. 2010 honorees include:
- Hannah Dotson – senior – Robotics Team, Latin Club, Marching Band, Concert Band, Carroll Medical Academy, Green Jacket. Career goal: bio-engineering.
- Connor Nolan – senior – Swim Team Captain, three silver medals in 2010 State UIL meet. Likes physics, works with cars. Career goal: engineering.
- Julie Hall – senior – National Merit semifinalist, varsity swim team, plays guitar, likes history.
Career goal: biomedical engineering.
- Tyler Friske – senior – class president, ranked third in class, drum major, jazz band trumpet, National Merit semifinalist. Career goal: medicine.
- Arvind Venkataraman – junior – Forensics team (2010 state semifinalist), enjoys ancient history, video games, producing music on home computer.
- Lindsey Hubel – senior – four-year member varsity lacrosse, award-winning artist and photographer.
Career objective: communications/advertising.
- Drew Cossu – senior – leading playmaker on club hockey team, National Honor Society, Math Club, Spanish Club.
Career goal: business or finance.
- Kristin Kent – senior – four-year member of Emerald Belles drill team, voted outstanding junior class student in 2009, and Nat’l Honor Society
- Katie Dachniwsky – senior –Dragon Marching Band, Wind Ensemble, Carroll Medical Academy, Odyssey of the Mind, gold medal Girl Scout
- Megan Schippmann – sophomore – as a freshman led forensics team, favorite class is English, enjoys writing research papers.
- Trevor Slack – senior – member of Carroll ISD’s first Marketing and Sports Information internship, provides live video feeds for Dragon Stadium scoreboard. Lead role in 2010 school musical.
- Paige Haney – senior – varsity cheerleader, top 10% of graduating class, National Honor Society, Green Club. Career objective: study accounting.
- Sam Sternfeld – senior – accomplished singer who has lead female role in 2010 school musical, choir, Emerald Belles.
- Abby Miller – senior – Student Council president, 2010 Homecoming Queen, Green Jacket, National Honor Society senate, Campus Decision Making Committee. Community volunteer with Whites Chapel UMC, ASTRA, Rachel’s Challenge, Meals on Wheels and GrandPals. Career objective: study accounting.
Berkeys Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning has specialized in the needs of homeowners in Southlake, Grapevine, Colleyville and Flower Mound for 35 years. Berkeys reputation for prompt, honest service from licensed and factory trained technicians assures customers the best in professional service, combined with leading brands including American Standard, Rinnai, Toto, InSinkErator and more. Call Berkeys at 1-877-BERKEYS, or visit our Website at https://www.berkeys.com.